Sunday, July 10, 2016

j reacts to an example of how my life experiences are very un-millennial

i need to reiterate: i'm not a millennial. i've never claimed to be a millennial. in fact, i've repeatedly rejected the claim. i'm rejecting the claim right now, even. i don't have life experiences that can be associated with that generation. yes: i happen to look 10-15 years younger than i am. but, i am not of it. i am of my own age.

i can only continue to explain why i'm not a millennial and hope it eventually gets acknowledged

--

i will say that growing up in the squeeze like this has kind of taken away the present. when i was a teen, it seemed like i had the choice to exaggerate the length of my childhood or end up as 15-going-on-27, which was what i did and was particularly abrasive given the arrested development i was coming out of. i never really felt like i had the option of being a teenager.

when i was in my 20s, i felt like i had the option of staying behind in my teens with the millennials (which meant living it the first time...) or jumping ahead to my 30s. i ended up making both choices, in sequence.

likewise, my thirties have felt like i have the choice between living my 20s the first time (which i think i did, during occupy) or living my 40s early (which i've been doing the last few years).

maybe i'll find a money tree out in the yard and live my thirties in my early 40s, then jump to my fifties at 45? such is the nature of the generational cusp.

but, as of right now? i'm 35 with the life experiences of a 45 year old. 35-going-on-47. and absolutely content with it.