Wednesday, July 11, 2018

i'm looking at a unit with free wifi, and i'm wondering what i'd even do with it.

i have three pcs, and none of them have wireless cards in them. i decided some time ago, though, that i would no longer be connecting my pcs to the internet. such is the depth of my concern about spying. these are production machines, and i do not want them to be corrupted.

i'm currently using my 90s laptop as my tv, and it does not have a wireless card in it. so, to continue to use this laptop for tv purposes, i would need to get a wired connection or find a way to connect it to the wireless network. can routers work backwards like that? i'm sure this is less difficult than my mind is imagining right now.

one of my modern laptops is currently broken and will eventually be turned into a video editing console. this will connect to the access point via rj-45. i have removed the wireless card from this device and do not want it connected to a wireless network..

the other modern laptop is my current access point, but i'm not comfortable with doing banking over an insecure wifi. these packets could be picked up by anybody in the building.

but, what i could do with free wifi is finally set up my phone and start using it as a phone. and, i might actually prefer that, as it keeps the phone traffic off of my internet network.

what i was going to do, eventually, was set up three routers in sequence, so that the networks couldn't see each other. a free access point is better than that...

a bigger question is whether "free wifi" means "i don't want you to install a wired connection" or not.