Tuesday, March 27, 2018

if the public school system had started at the same age as the catholic school system, i would have never been baptized, and would have been sent to a public school.

my maternal grandmother is an anglican; my mother isn't even really an atheist, so much as she's just disinterested in the topic altogether. my dad would have probably baptized me, but my mom didn't want me anywhere near the catholic church, as she was convinced all the priests were gay paedophiles. she was less pro-atheist and more anti-catholic.

but, the fact that she agitated for me to be baptized as a way to get me to school quicker indicates the deep disinterest in religion that i was raised into.

i vaguely remember it - i was just instructed to sit still while he sprinkled some water on me. i mean, it was kind of scary - i was old enough to be cognizant of what was happening, without being old enough to understand it. she attached absolutely no meaning to it, whatsoever.

my paternal grandmother (who is probably part genetically jewish, but was raised italian catholic) always saw me as a heathen.