Tuesday, September 10, 2019

maybe i should explain the law, here.

when a tenant makes a smoke complaint, the landlord has the obligation to make a good faith effort to resolve it. the landlord can't just tell the tenant "if you don't like it, leave". that would be against the landlord tenant act, and open up the landlord to serious litigation by the tenant. in very, very rare cases, it could even lead to charges of criminal negligence.

second-hand smoke kills people. it's not trivial. it's a serious complaint, and it's a big deal when a tenant makes it.

but, that's exactly what the landlord did. she verbatim told me "if you don't like the smoke, leave.". so, i sued her for a few thousand dollars - mostly to get the funds i needed to move, because i live on disability, and can't just up and move on a whim. and, i think it's pretty fucking obvious that if she wasn't going to make any attempt to address the second-hand smoke, then she had a moral and legal obligation to pay for my way out of the unit.

in order for me to win that case, i had to find a way to prove in court that she was actually smoking in the house. it should be obvious that i don't care if she smokes away from the house. she can even swallow a fucking tailpipe for all i care - my interest in her as a living entity was purely, absolutely nihil. and, i'm not a christian, so i don't care about being nice to my neighbours, especially when they won't respect my basic rights. to hell with her. she didn't give a fuck about my rights, so i showed her the same absolute level of disrespect that she showed me, and she deserved any fallout that she got from it for being a self-centered piece of shit. am i sounding more and more like a cop, here?

so, how could i prove that she was smoking inside? i could film her, which would be pretty invasive. i could get an air quality test, which would be expensive. i could subpoena her, which might not even work. the easiest, most fail-proof way to demonstrate my claim in court was to get a police report. so, that's what i did. and, fuck her.

you can accuse me of being anti-social if you want, and i won't disagree with you so much as i'll justify my actions as being proportionate and reasonable, in context. but, suggesting i acted like a cop is just specious.

and, i'll say it again: it's the cops that call other people cops. real people don't act like that.

and, i'll say this: if you're concerned about me retaliating, you're right to be. i'm easy-going, but i'm not a pacifist. i don't look for trouble - that's easy to see. but, if you fuck with me, i'll fuck with you, and i won't apologize for it.

so, don't fuck with me and we'll get along....