Monday, February 10, 2020

yes, it is very weird to grow up in ottawa, and have a father that was drafted by the 67s, and to have never learned how to skate. just about every kid around me, of both genders, was playing hockey as toddlers.

but, my dad found himself with a busted body, a lot of shattered dreams and no discernible future in his 20s, and he made a conscious choice to teach me how to read, instead.

i didn't play hockey. but, i went to pre-school.

this had a set of unintended consequences attached to it, i think. i ended up at a working class elementary school, and had difficulty relating to the other kids. if you're going to teach a kid to read instead of to play hockey, it makes sense to follow up on it, and they didn't - they kind of left me stranded due to finances. and, i ended up a floater. but, the early decisions were the right ones.

it was my mother that made a lot of bad choices...