Tuesday, June 29, 2021

my doctor told me over the phone that my lumbar spine t-score was -1.9, using female reference values. he therefore diagnosed me with osteopenia over the phone and scared the fuck out of me.

when i picked up the data from his office yesterday to try to get a better handle on it, i learned that my lumbar spine z-score was -1.2, using male reference values. as a 40 year-old, that is more or less exactly where it ought to be in an "under 50" pool of references - i've had about ten years worth of loss, so i should be on the lower end when compared against young people. 

my total femoral z-score was even better, at -0.8. that is probably above average for my age.

that -1.9 was a z-score for my femoral neck, and it's a little concerning, but still in the normal male reference frame. could that be caused by heavy biking or overuse? like, have i worn it down, actually?

but, i therefore don't have osteopenia at all. what i have is a doctor that doesn't know how to read bmd test results. and, this is both relieving and annoying and clears out a lot of the bloodwork i was concerned about.

i'm going to follow through with the endocrinologist, regardless.