Friday, November 17, 2017

i actually take great care to not identify as any particular ethnicity. but i need to point out that it's not the case that i'm like 90% white or something.

i'm really quite literally mixed.

on my father's side, i'm native american, african-american (probably), french canadian, italian and jewish. so, my father would have been 50% mediterranean (italian/jewish), either 12.5% native and 12.5% black OR 25% cree (it's not clear....) and 25% french canadian.

despite having a french canadian surname, he was only a quarter "white".

my mom's father is white- welsh/anglo/scot. but, her mother is a quarter asian through a finnish ancestry. my grandmother has broadly norse-irish phenotypes, but my mother actually looks kind of turkic, and it would be from the finnish. i can look pretty finnish, myself. but, my mom would come in at 87.5% white.

that would make me about 56.25% white european, 25% mediterranean, 6.25% asian and 12.5% cree (or african/cree).

that's not enough to identify as anything specific. i've never been to a synagogue, and i don't know anything about indigenous culture, besides being an intuitive anarchist. i'm certainly not culturally black. but, i don't really have any interest in white culture, either. while my biggest european ancestry comes from my mother's father, i have essentially no relationship with that side of the family - i've had a far closer relationship with my maternal grandmother and my father's siblings. the two family members i've been closest to are my father and my maternal grandmother.

but, i find your narrative lacking, to begin with.

i'm actually more attached to the old left ideas that reject nationalism and ethnicity as tools of capitalist control, and argues instead for a secular society built on scientific principles and radical concepts of total egalitarianism.

in other words, i don't actually think my ethnicity is important. i don't really want one. and, i won't interpret other people through the lens of their self-identification, either: we're all just human beings.

but, sure: i'm all of the subtypes i listed, and none of it is any more token or trivial than the rest, whatever it means - and whatever it doesn't mean, at all.

jagmeet singh must cut his beard.